Open pores on the skin often give the skin an old haggard look, and are usually a source of discomfort for the affected persons. Part of the reason for this is that the pores are often linked to varying skin conditions such as blackheads and acne. Individuals with oily skin are often predisposed to open pores, and as such it helps to know some of the natural solutions for this common condition. The market is saturated with products that purport to help reduce open pores, but for those with sensitive skin, this is always a tricky route to take. Unfortunately, these very products may actually worsen the skin condition.
In order to use the right treatment, it is key to know some of the factors that cause open pores. Excessive accumulation of the skin’s sebum, coupled with dirt and bacteria often close up the pores and enlarge them, resulting in open pores. It is also vital to know that prolonged periods of staying under direct sunlight also lead to open pores. This is because the UV rays destroy the structure of collagen. Collagen is a type of skin protein that ensures the skin’s elasticity. When collagen is destroyed, its elasticity reduces, leading to the characteristic open pores.
To treat the condition effectively, it is best to use natural remedies recommended for the home treatment of open pores. These remedies are not only safe for the most part, they are also inexpensive and usually easy to prepare. Note that if you experience any irritation, it is advisable to discontinue the use of the remedy immediately. If you have any concerns about your skin condition, or the symptoms seem to flare up instead of reducing, seek the services of a dermatologist.
1. Ice Cubes:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: A handful of ice cubes, a clean washcloth, and cucumber juice (optional).
Ice cubes are one of the simplest home remedies for the natural treatment of open pores. Due to the low temperatures, ice shrinks the skin and causes the pores to tighten effectively reducing the appearance of the open pores. This is why ice is applied prior to makeup application. Other benefits of using ice as a natural remedy include its ability to stimulate circulation as well as improve the overall health of the skin. Cucumber juice is added for its ability to close up the skin’s pores. It is optional, but has immense benefits for the skin. Follow the directions indicated below to get the most out of this remedy.
- Place the ice cubes on the clean washcloth and tie the ends so that you create a pack which is easy to massage on the skin. This is done to prevent damaging the skin by causing frostbite.
- If you opt to use cucumber juice, you need to add the juice during ice preparation. Simply add cucumber juice to the water used for preparing the ice and proceed with the remedy as follows.
- Once you have the ice cubes on the washcloth, rub the pack on your skin for about 1 minute. Use this remedy at least thrice daily.
- When pressed for time, you can always rinse the skin with ice cold effect for the same results.
- Always remember to use this remedy in the morning and at bedtime.
2. Egg Whites:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 2 Eggs, a funnel, juice from half a lemon, tissue paper, and cool water to rinse.
Egg whites are a fantastic remedy for the natural treatment of open pores. This is because they are not only rich in proteins, they also tone the skin and cause it to retain its elasticity. These healing properties are important because they prevent the pores from remaining enlarged. Additionally, the proteins present in the egg whites are excellent remedies for people with oily skin as they help get rid of the excessive oil and help unclog the skin’s pores. Add the juice of half a lemon which helps clear the skin’s pores and compliments the functioning of the egg whites. You will need a funnel in order to separate the egg whites from the egg with ease.
- Beat the egg and pour its contents in a funnel. This allows the egg whites to pass through and the yolk is left in the funnel.
- Take the egg whites and mix with the lemon juice.
- Apply this mixture on your skin and allow it to cover your face entirely.
- To ease the cleaning process, place pieces of tissue paper on the egg white face mask and allow the remedy to dry on its own.
- Once the face mask has dried, peel the tissue paper to remove the layer of egg white remedy.
- Rinse the skin using cool water. Use this remedy on a regular basis, at least once or twice weekly. It is best to incorporate this remedy into you skin care routine for best results.
3. Fuller’s Earth:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 2 Tablespoons of fuller’s earth, rose water, and cold water to rinse.
If you would like a reliable natural remedy for dealing with open pores, look no further than Fuller’s earth. This remedy is also known as multani mitti, and is popular for its health benefits on the skin. The earth, when mixed with water, creates a mud which is applied as a face mask. Once applied, the mask is allowed to dry, during which it absorbs the skin’s excess oil and removes dirt and grime from the pores.
This mud mask also has the advantage of reducing scarring, and is particularly beneficial for damaged skin as a result of overexposure to the sun’s UV rays. Rose water is added during the preparation of the remedy as it is gentle on the skin and has a wonderful scent. Prepare the mask by following the directions indicated below.
- Add an adequate amount of rose water to the Fuller’s earth and stir to make a thick paste.
- Scoop the paste using your fingertips and apply on your face.
- Leave the mask on the skin and let it dry for 20 minutes.
- Scrub the paste off using cool water. Use this remedy at least twice weekly for best results.
4. Homemade Sugar Scrub:
Time Required: 40 Min
What You Need: 4 Teaspoons of sugar, 2 teaspoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of honey, 3 drops of lemon juice, and cold water. Lemon wedges (alternative).
One of the easiest ways to treat open pores is to use skin scrub for exfoliation purposes. Nothing works better than homemade sugar scrub in eliminating excessive oil as well as removing grime accumulated on the skin. This not only leaves the skin refreshed and rejuvenated, it also enhances the process of regeneration to allow skin cells to form.
Olive oil is added for its high concentration of antioxidants that help slow down the process of aging. Honey on the other hand, is an excellent skin moisturizer whose healing properties prevent the skin from flaring as a result of breakouts. Lemon juice is a key ingredient because it prevents scarring while improving your skin’s health.
- Mix all the ingredients on a bowl and mix well until you have a thick coarse paste which is what you will use as the scrub.
- Apply the paste on your face and massage gently in upward motions.
- Do this at intervals of two minutes, making sure not to do so aggressively.
- Rinse the sugar scrub off using cold water and allow the skin to breathe.
- The other alternative to preparing sugar scrub is to use lemon wedges. Sprinkle the sugar on the lemon wedges and use to rub your skin gently. Avoid rubbing the sugared wedges on broken skin as this causes a stinging sensation.
- Use this remedy regularly, at least twice weekly in order to treat open pores and restore your skin’s glow.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Equal amounts of Apple cider vinegar and warm water, cotton wool, cold water, and your choice skin moisturizer.
Apple cider vinegar works as a great skin toner and its ability to tighten the skin’s pores as an astringent makes it a perfect home remedy. Using this remedy on a regular basis reduces the size of the pores and goes a long way in restoring the skin’s normal pH values. The latter is particularly important because sometimes open pores are accompanied by a pH imbalance which sets up the perfect condition for acne and breakouts.
- Mix the apple cider vinegar and water in the ration 1:1.
- Place the cotton wool in the resulting solution and allow it to soak for a few minutes.
- Dab the wet cotton wool on the skin and let it dry before rinsing using cold water.
- Use this remedy daily at bedtime in order to cleanse your face. Apply your preferred moisturizer and repeat this remedy until you notice your skin is getting better.
NOTE: If you experience any discomfort or irritation while using apple cider vinegar, discontinue immediately. Remember to dilute the vinegar in order to reduce the chances of skin irritation.
6. Ripe PawPaw:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Ripe pawpaw, a spoon and bowl, cotton wool, and warm water to rinse.
Ripe pawpaw is one of the most effective home remedies for the natural treatment of open pores. This is because the enzymes present in the fruit work to shrink the pores by getting rid of dead skin and excessive skin oil. This is extremely important because it helps unblock the skin’s pores and ensure they remain smaller. Overall, pawpaw has a great effect on the skin’s general health. Add this to your regular skin care routine to restore your skin’s natural glow.
- Peel and wash the pawpaw fruit before cutting a sizable piece for use in this remedy.
- Chop the fruit into small pieces in a bowl and mash using a spoon.
- Use cotton wool to apply the mashed pawpaw on your skin.
- Massage gently for about 10 minutes before rinsing.
- Use this remedy consistently until you notice an improvement in your skin condition.
7. Oats + Tomato Face Pack:
Time Required: 1 hour
What You Need: 1/2 Cup of oats, raw tomato, and warm water to rinse.
Prepare a face pack using oats and raw tomatoes to clear open pores and restore your skin’s condition. Oats are super absorbent, and this is what makes them a befitting remedy for this condition, and especially for those with oily skin. In addition to clearing up the skin’s pores, oats also help cleanse and soothe sun-damaged skin. Tomatoes are added because they are rich in antioxidants that help slow down the process of aging. Contents in the tomato are also astringent in nature, making it possible to purge the skin of oil deposits and topical dirt.
- Wash the tomato and chop or grate to ease the mixing process.
- Add the tomato paste-like substance to the oats and mix well.
- Apply the mixture on your face so that you have a face pack. You may apply on the neck region as well.
- Let the mixture remain on the skin for about an hour, so best use this remedy while you have some ample free time.
- Wash off after about an hour to ensure you have fewer open pores and smooth shiny skin.
- Use this remedy at least thrice weekly for best results.
8. Yeast and Lemon Paste:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Yeast (specifically brewer’s yeast), 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and warm water.
Brewer’s yeast is best known for its role in preparing alcohol, but did you know that yeast is also an excellent remedy for the natural treatment of open pores? This is because the yeast is laden with minerals and proteins that cleanse the skin and eliminate dirt. Lemon juice, as mentioned above, has astringent properties that tighten the skin in addition to exfoliating and refreshing you. Mixing the yeast and lemon juice with water to create a paste works like magic for your skin. Go ahead and try this remedy to get youthful looking skin.
- Prepare the remedy by adding water little by little to the yeast. Do this to create a putty that will hold on to the skin with ease as opposed to preparing a runny paste.
- Add the lemon juice to the putty and mix some more.
- Apply the putty on your skin and leave it for a few minutes.
- Wash off the remedy after about half an hour and apply a light skin moisturizer for best results.
9. Honey + Yogurt Face Mask:
Time Required: 40 Min
What You Need: 2 Tablespoons of honey and 1/4 cup of natural yogurt, as well as warm water for rinsing.
It is impossible to list natural treatments for open pores without including a honey-and-yogurt face mask. Honey’s benefits for the skin have been mentioned above. Yogurt on the other hand, is rich in lactic acid which is one of the most common ingredients in skin care products. this is because it is an excellent exfoliation agent which helps cleanse and shrink the pores. Use this face mask once weekly until you are content with the progress you have made.
- Add the honey to the yogurt and mix well.
- Scoop some of the creamy mixture and apply on your face.
- Massage the skin in several upward motions for a few minutes before allowing the mixture to dry on the skin.
- Wash the skin after half an hour and finish off with a light skin moisturizer for soft, supple clear skin.